• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Citric Acid

jamursch

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I'm looking for some advice on using citric acid in my extract brew.
I recently spoke to a brewer for one of my favorite NEO breweries, Hoppin Frog, about how they make my favorite of theirs Turbo Shandy, and said they get the citrus flavor by using citric acid in the fermentor and natural lemon flavoring in the bottling tank.

I've been playing around trying to clone this beer but am never close enough to it to feel satisified. Mine come out too lemony and never have that full bodied citrus flavor as it tends to have orange, grapefruit and lemon flavor.

I can't find much about using citric acid in beer making, it seems to be more common with wine?
Anyone have any insight for me?

Citric acid is used in wine making to adjust the PH when the base fruit is something other than grapes.  I'd be really hesitant about using it in beer.

My BS detector is telling me that the brewer may have been blowing smoke up your you-know-what.

It is much easier to experiment with hops like Amarillo, Chinook or Cascade. Those add the most citrus notes in my experience.  A friend of mine will add a half a lemon or grapefruit in the secondary to amplify the effect.  Personally I prefer Fuggle and Kent Golding and would never do such a thing, but you know what they say about taste.

1oz of coriander seeds lightly cracked in the boil for the last 10min will do it too, also citra hops adds a nice citrus aroma. 

I agree with the whole citric acid thing, I don't think it will give you what you are looking for.  Citric acid is usually used to balance the acidity of wine.  I would also steer away from any kind peel, especially rind.  This would give more of a bitter character and that does not sound like you are looking for.

Citra hop would offer a nice citrus profile.  Soracha Ace would give hints of lemon.  I would recommend trying some zest in the secondary.  Start out with a small amount and scale up from there.  When zesting, be sure not to get into the white part of the peel.  That will give a very bitter flavor.  You can soak the fresh zest in a small amount of vodka to sanitize it, then just put the hole thing in the secondary.  I have used zest several times and been very pleased with it.

Back