• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Entering gravity above 1.046

MacBraun

Apprentice
Reaction score
I tried looking for this and I couldn't find it anywhere.  I tried entering values for apple juice I bought so I could have beersmith calculate accurate OG for mead recipes.  Every time I tried to enter the value, it defaulted back to 1.046.  I know it was above this value but I can't remember right now what it was.  Is there a way to enter a gravity value above 1.046?

I'm hazy on this, but there's a difference between SG/OG and PPG.  Cane sugar dissolves/gives up 100% of its weight to gravity, and PPG is Points/Pound/Gallon, so it is defined as one pound of "stuff" in exactly one gallon of liquid, so the max PPG is considered 1.046, which is cane sugar.  DME is usually 42 to 44, and then downward from there. 

SG/OG of a wort can be much higher since you can put many "pounds" of gravity into fewer gallons of wort, i.e., RIS, wee heavy, BDS, etc.

Same for apple juice......variable amounts of apples/concentrate into unknown quantity of water.  That is a SG and not a PPG. 

So, where it says yield, it's talking about ppg?  And, when I buy a gallon of apple juice that measures, for example, 1.056, BeerSmith just isn't designed to handle that?

I could not find a way other than copying an extract.  I only tried copying and extract.  It does reset to 1.046.  So, just use 1.046 and increase the yield 120%

For liquids like apple juice divide the gravity points (SG - 1) by 8 to get their PPG.  1 lb = 1 pt = 1/8 gallon. 

So, 1.056 apple juice has a potential of (1.056 - 1 ) / 8 =  56 / 8 = 7 PPG.  For the potential field it is entered as an SG...SG of 1gallon of wort with 1lb of extract in it.  So, enter 1 + PPG = 1.007 in this example.  Then when you add your apple juice to the recipe, 8 lbs = 1 gallon. 

The only problem is that BS2 doesn't seem to assign any volume to extracts or sugars.  So, I can put 100 lbs of the above apple juice into a 6 gallon batch.  Not actually possible. 

Just wanted to thank tom_hampton for his helpful explanation.  I used it to calculate the ppg of some 1.080 gravity grape juice.

1lb of juice = Approx 1 US pint / 473ml (weighed it myself) = 1/8 US gal = 1.080
1lb dissolved in 1 gallon of water = 80/8 = 10ppg

Back