• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A boiler that is also a primary fermenter?.. hey, why not?

mfrock

New Forum Member
Reaction score
If I can't by a boiler that is also a fermenter, can I build one?
I haven't been able to find any information on this possibility. I assume there's something fundamentally wrong with the notion.
A British company, ACE makes a 30 liter boiler urn with a concealed electric burner, screw on top and low tap. Can I punch a hole in the lid and throw an airlock in it?
It's too good an idea to be a possibility, right?
I've been brewing in a plastic bucket for a year and love it, I'm looking to upgrade my methods and equipment, but staying with extract brewing.

The only thing I see wrong with the concept is the need to brew while beer is still fermenting.  I enjoy drinking my own beer.  Often.  At times I have had 4 fermenters cookin'.  With neighbors, inlaws and kids now helping to dispose of the evidence................ ::)

Part of transferring the wort from the boil kettle into a fermenter is getting rid of all of the waste and by-products from the boil (spent hops, hot break, trub, etc).  You want very little, if any of this going into your fermenter.  Then there is the fact that Pete brings up.....quite often I have multiple beers fermenting at a time.

I have to agree with glienhard that transfering to the primary is a great time to remove all unwanted by products of the boil, and all so something like that cant be cheap so i wouldnt want to think about buying multipul such to allow for multiple batchs.

Back