• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mac 2.1.02 Cannot import BSM or XML files from 1.X

sbarta30

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm running 2.1.02-64-bit on MacOS X 10.6.8. I've been running BeerSmith 1.40 under Wine and am trying to export my recipes, but 2.1 can't import them either as .BSM files (it says "Error importing file") or as .XML (../src/common/stringops.cpp(245): assert "Assert failure" filed in AsUTF8(): trying to encode undefined Unicode character).

There's nothing I can do about the .BSM problem; with XML, I get the option to ignore errors, but if I do, my recipes get imported with errors in them (ingredient lists basically okay, but some numbers like boil times are way off).

I can give you copies of the offending files if you contact me. Don't know if you'll be able to do much about invalid XML, depending on how fussy your parser is, but I'm hoping you could get one of them working.

Help!

Thanks,
  Not sure what the problem is but if you send them on to my email at beersmith at beersmith.com I can convert and send them to you.  Also I'll save them to run the debugger against them to try to figure out what is wrong.

Thanks,
Brad

I have something of a similar issue. I just recently purchased BeerSmith (great Memorial Day sale!); I have used BeerAlchemy in the past because it supported Macs. And, I want to transition over to BeerSmith.

After I import a BeerAlchemy exported XML file, I can't seem to save it as a BeerSmith file and have it show up in my recipe folder. Clicking "save as," "save," or "ok" have not resulted in the file being present after I close and reopen BeerSmith.  :eek: What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hi,
  You can actually save it to any directory then use the Open command to open it.  Once you have it open, use the Copy/Paste to put it in your permanent My Recipes folder (or subfolder).

Brad

Back