• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Small batch grain method

Pahlavan

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice/approval.

I want to start making smaller batches (4.5litre) batches of all grain brews. I dont want to buy more equipment. Also, As i like to experiment and tinker alot i dont want to be stuck with large batches.

Would it be ok to do the following:
Mash in a large fine-mesh grain bag in a cooking pot on the stove.
Remove said bag and place in large funnel in bucket
Sparge the grains in the grain bag in the funnel with seperated wort via a syphon
Return to cooking pot and boil
Then cool cooking pot by sitting it in an ice bath.
Then ferment etc.

What do you guys and gals think?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Danny

You will loose efficiency mashing in a bag, so you will have to do some experimenting to see how much.  This sounds like a mini biag, so the idea isn't totally foreign.  I suspect that you will have some differences in utilization, but again some experimenting is in order.  Try it and let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers!

Sounds like biab which is how I brew except I do 2.5gal brews. I tried doing 1 gal biab a couple times but didn't find it very productive, same amount of time/less beer :( . You loose some efficiency but you can compensate with more grain, longer mash in time (75-90min) and a finer grain crush. Give it a try, and don't forget you'll need a smaller fermenting container.

Back