• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gluten-free tips??

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone made a nice gluten-free beer?  A friend is interested and I see Austin Home Brew has a Sorghum-based APA kit.

Any tips or leads appreciated.  Thx.

MaltLicker said:
Anyone made a nice gluten-free beer?  A friend is interested and I see Austin Home Brew has a Sorghum-based APA kit.

Any tips or leads appreciated.  Thx.

Did you brew this kit? I brewed it yesterday so I'm interested to know how yours turned out.

Hi - new here, first post, but I saw your question. I used the guidelines and ratios of a kit from MoreBeer to make a 2 gallon trial batch of gluten-free amber ale. I want to see if a friend with Celiac disease likes it. I just bottled it yesterday, so won't be ready for probably 4 weeks, but I can let you know.

If you want the recipe, I can put it in here. The sample taste when I bottled was beer-like.

max42 said:
Did you brew this kit? I brewed it yesterday so I'm interested to know how yours turned out.

Nope, I ended up not brewing all summer until September. 

Harpdog, that gave me a great idea.  I went to the MoreBeer site and looked at their gluten free kits ingredient list.  This gave me some good ideas on what and where to start.

I would still love to hear how your trial batch turns out.  Please keep us all posted.

harpdog said:
Hi - new here, first post, but I saw your question. I used the guidelines and ratios of a kit from MoreBeer to make a 2 gallon trial batch of gluten-free amber ale. I want to see if a friend with Celiac disease likes it. I just bottled it yesterday, so won't be ready for probably 4 weeks, but I can let you know.

If you want the recipe, I can put it in here. The sample taste when I bottled was beer-like.

When looking into GF try to minimize the sorghum syrup, it give the finished product an artificial flavor. I try to stick to oats, rice, and sugar for the fermentable.

Warning: Oats are not gluten-free.  Research has found one variety in Spain and passes gluten tests but that variety is not specifically sold in the US that I have found.  Some people can tolerate the variation of gluten that oats produce, but that is a subset of celiacs.

Note also that it is a tough call as to whether someone has an allergy to wheat/barley/oats or if it is celiac.  Wheat allergies can be sensitive to a few ppm.  Celiacs should be able to tolerate amounts below 20ppm if they are strict in the balance of their diet.

Back