• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another First Wort Hop question

Beerlord

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've never FWH'd before and it seems it's better suited to mash tun than BIAB which I'm doing but my local beer guru suggested just putting the leaf hops I have (Simcoe) in the mash.
I'm not sure how to add this in Beersmith. There is a FWH listed but what about the time?  If I mash for 75 minutes, do I use that time in the FWH list or maybe I should just add the hops later in the mash.
I'm really not sure but I'd love to try it and also would like to know the best way to show this in Beersmith.

FWH is just that. It's the first hop you add. what I do with all grain is as I'm pumping the wort to the boil kettle I throw my hops in, then as it's filling I fire it up and wait for the boil, then add more hops for the 60 min hop addition.

First Wort Hopping goes into your kettle as you begin to fill it. Mash Hopping goes into the mash with the grains. Some say Mash Hopping is ineffective, some say they don't get much from FWH. I personally FWH and will eliminate that step if hops become scarce again.

Back