• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Building equipment profile

jaybird789

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to Brew Smith and whole grain brewing. I must be an idiot but can't figure what values to put in my equipment profile. Noting I input seems to match. If anyone is willing to help a "newbie" I'd be greatfull.

I have a plastic igloo 10 gallon Mashtun with a stainless steel false bottom. I Have a 6 gallon brew pot and a 10 gallon igloo plastic hot liq tank. When I try to input my equipment values, it gives a profile for a 10 gallon pot and cooler all grain. ( I won't be making 12 gallon brews, just 6 gallons) (I want to get a full five gallon yield).

Also, on the infusion tab, I don't see a fly sparge option just step infusions or no steps. I'm not sure which profile to pick. I'm making IPA's so I know it should be light body but when I print my steps, it tells me to "batch sparge in 2 steps" in my Mash Steps. ( I intend to mash, then spagre, then boil). Sorry if this is too long but I love the software and don't want to mess up my brew because I'm 'dull' and not getting it.

Any help would be appreciated. All other features I seem to be getting the hang of.

Thanks,

jaybird789

jaybird789 said:
Also, on the infusion tab, I don't see a fly sparge option just step infusions or no steps. I'm not sure which profile to pick. I'm making IPA's so I know it should be light body but when I print my steps, it tells me to "batch sparge in 2 steps" in my Mash Steps. ( I intend to mash, then spagre, then boil).
jaybird789

The default sparge method is fly, so pick one like "Single Infusion, Light Body" then modify it to suit, and rename it Jay's Mash if you like. 

The other options that say Batch Sparge are pre-set with those choices.

You will struggle to make a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon brewpot.  Based on the changes I'm recommending below, you will start with a 6.75 gallon pre-boil volume.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but you are going to constantly fight foam-over.  Plus you will have to reserve some of the wort and add it as the kettle volume boils down.  Remember that anything other than hops must boil for 10 minutes to ensure that it is sanitized.  So, that last bit of reserved wort needs to go into the pot with 10 minutes remaining.  I have brewed this way in the past....it works.

For your equipment profile, I would copy the "Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)" and edit the batch volume to 5 gallons, change the boiloff to 0.8 gallons and change the name to something else. 

For your mash profile, do you intend to perform a mash-out or not?  If you don't know...the answer is no-mash-out.  Anyway select between the following based on your recipe:

Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out

Single Infusion, Light Body
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Single Infusion, Full Body

All of those will be "fly-sparge" profiles with temperatures for the indicated level of "body". 

Thank you both for the great input. Much appreciated and I hope I can get the feel for this.
You guys are awsome for taking the time to help.
Jaybird789

Back