• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Super Kleer KC Finings

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used it? I forgot to add Irish Moss during my last boil and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help clarify. Super Kleer is a two step process where one portion of the packet is added to a fermenter ... stirred ... allowed to sit for an hour ... then the other portion stirred in. Supposedly, beer will clear in less than 24 hours. The instructions aren't very explicit and I worry about oxidation. At what point should the product be added to the fermenter ... when the fermentation has ended and immediately before racking to a keg?

Part of this product is silicon dioxide which binds to the negatively charged proteins in the beer.  You would add this to the fermenter and let it sit overnight then keg.  I would wait until a day or two before you plan to keg then add it.  I let my beers sit in the primary 10 to 14 days then keg.

Do you have a problem with beer clarity? 

Do you crash the keg temp?

I've always had a problem with clarity. The only beer I've ever made that has ended up crystal clear is when I've bottled and let them sit for four or five months.

I absolutely cold crash my fermented beer before going to a secondary or keg.

there are several different finings that work on different reason for turbidity.  If yo have luck with any particular one, I would go further into research and look for causes of those specific reasons. 

For example, Irish Moss works by attracting positively charged proteins when the wort is cooling.  Adding it with a few minutes left in the boil ensures it is sanitized and does nto denature.  As the wort cools,  the attraction occurs and the clumps settle to the bottom.  You need to be careful not to put these back into the fermenter or the fermentation process will break the bonds releasing the proteins.

Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone is a plastic that works similarly but attracts different particles like tannins and husk particles.  You don't want this in your keg.

Super Kleer KC works first by using a negatively charged (Silicon Dioxide) particles to first attract the positively charged proteins then the second dose is positively charged to bind it all together and drop out.  Again, be very careful not to unbind this during kegging.  Either ferment more work or leave more behind and do not disturb it.  Let it settle 15 or 20 minutes after moving the carboy to the kegging area.

Gelatin is positively charged and works by attracting the negatively charged particles than tend to make it into the keg.  You can add this in your keg but risk breaking the bond if you move your keg around.  You will also want to toss the first couple pints.

All finings remove color, hop taste, aroma and bitterness.  Nothing is free. 

So, when you find a product that works, research how it works then how to minimize the haze causing particles so yoo don't need it.

I only use whirlflock.  1 tablet in my 5 gallon batch though I recently learned I only need 1/2 tablet.  I keg at 67-68f then crash to 34f on my keg freezer with a computer fan circulating the air.  I let it condition, undisturbed (save a for a few "analysis" pours) for a week.  They are either clear or near clear by then.  A week later, they are really clear.

Back