• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hopping Feedback

SHIRLEY

Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about dry hopping.  I did notice there are small bubble around the hops at the top.  I'm thinking of using a cheese cloth hop bag  to attach to the hose when I rack the beer into my bottling bucket. Of course I'll sanitize the hop bag.  Any thoughts?  Just hoping to get as much hops of the beer as possible.

SHIRLEY said:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about dry hopping.  I did notice there are small bubble around the hops at the top.  I'm thinking of using a cheese cloth hop bag  to attach to the hose when I rack the beer into my bottling bucket. Of course I'll sanitize the hop bag.  Any thoughts?  Just hoping to get as much hops of the beer as possible.

Hi Shirley,

I have so far only dry hopped one 5 gallon batch.  I did the dry hopping by dumping loose 2 oz. of pellets into the secondary fermenter for a week.

When I was ready to transfer the beer to  keg using autosiphon and hose,  I didn't want to transfer a lot of hop debris so I fixed  a small nylon mesh hop bag to teh delivery end of the hose.  I left it sort of loose as a bag so it wouldn't easily get blocked, and secured it to the end of the hose with a hose clamp.  It seemed to work just fine.

A lot of folks seem to do the dry hopping right in the keg instead and I might try that next time.  If I do, I plan on just dumping the hop bag with pellets into the keg and leaving it there for the duration.  I would weight it down with some stainless steel nuts, bolts etc.

Brian.

Ladies nylon knee-highs, and glass marbles, tied with fishing line or flavorless dental floss.

Back