• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Growing your own hops?

zymurgist05

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Just wondering... who is growing hops?  I started growing hops three yrs ago just to say I grew them.  I didn't think the climate and soil conditions here in the midwest would promote good growth.  I have two cascade and two fuggle plants.  The fuggle is 3 yrs old and the cascade is in its second yr.  Both varieties have grown to about 25 feet tall so far this year.  The cascade is loaded with cones (towards the bottom... flowers abundant towards the top), the fuggle not so much. 
I harvested just 1 oz. from each plant last yr.... disappoinated in the yeild.  Should I expect a larger yield?

I'm in year 3 on 1 set and year 2 on the second set of vines.  Not sure of my species.  Yeild last year was similar to yours.  I guess it takes several years for them to build up.  BTW, I'm in the Milwaukee area (midwest too).  We'll see better crops year after year I hope.

Starting with my second year, I've been getting more Cascade than I can brew with. (Yay!)  My other varieties mostly enough for a batch if that.  That said, my Cascades are in the best spot in the garden for sunshine and abundant water.  I'm not sure if it's luck (it sure ain't skill) or variety or something else.

I'd think that if you have bines 25' tall, you'll be brewing labor day weekend with homegrown hops!

From what I've read you don't get much the first two seasons. But by the third you should expect a better yield.

That assumes you have full sun and adequate water.

I live in a valley surrounded by tall trees, so mine don't do much.

I am on my second year with chinook and cascade, and 1st yr with willamette and hallertau. My chinook is like a tree and loaded with hops already,cascade is doing good its tall but no hops yet.We had a warm winter and spring in Connecticut, and I load it with cow manure it loves it!

Back