• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Substituting ingredients

cdeme123

Apprentice
Reaction score
Can't get Amarillo hops at your brew shop this week for some reason?  Just click on the "suggested substitutions" button on the recipe page and boom a list of suitable substitutions pops up.  Select the one you want to use and the substitution is made in the recipe.

I recently exported all the ingredients out of BS into an excel spreadsheet so I could find good ingredients to substitute using Excel's data filtering feature.

I see the substitution button on the recipe page but all it does is bring up the entire list of ingredients.    My spreadsheet allows for filters based on attributes.  For example, if I know a particular hop may not be available but a recipe calls for, I go to my spreadsheet and do a filter on hops that have the same alpha acid content, beta value, etc.  Then I choose from the resulting list a good substitute.

If I could click on a "suggested substitutions" button and have BS do a similar query and return the results, that would be a pretty powerful tool.

Thanks for creating a fantastic brewing tool.

Chris

Back