• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reducing Alcohol In A Recipe

steve allan

Apprentice
Reaction score
I would like to brew certain recipes but don't want the alcohol % so high. Do I just reduce everything by the same % until Beersmith gives me my number and will I still get the flavour of the beer. Or do I just go and find styles with lower alcohol content. I brewed a Porter that tastes great but I would love it to be lower in alcohol ao when your watching the footy(Aussie Rules that is!!) your not asleep by half time.

Cheers

Steve
Western Australia

Steve,

Brad did a podcast on this subject. His intro is:

This week my guest is Mike Tonsmeire, aka “The Mad Fermentationist”.  Mike walks us through the fine art of designing and brewing very low gravity beers called “Session Beers”.  Session beers are eminently drinkable beers that are still full bodied and enjoyable, without weighing you down.

Here's the link:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/09/15/session-beer-with-the-mad-fermentationist-beersmith-podcast-22/

Dan

Session beers are exactly what you're looking for. 

Think blue collar Briton. You and your mates are all going out after work, and everyone is going to buy a round by the end of the night.  Depending on the size of the crew, that could be quite a few beers.  So the pubs sell a low alcohol ale for the working man.

I aim for a starting gravity of between 1.030 and 1.040.  You can drink it all night without getting too sloppy.

Beersmith will scale your recipe by gravity.  So, pick a recipe then scale it using the scale by gravity tool to lower the gravity to set the potential ABV to your liking.  I will typically tweak the new recipe to route numbers so I am not using weird fractions like 3.185 kg of grain.

durrettd said:
Steve,

Brad did a podcast on this subject. His intro is:

This week my guest is Mike Tonsmeire, aka “The Mad Fermentationist”.  Mike walks us through the fine art of designing and brewing very low gravity beers called “Session Beers”.  Session beers are eminently drinkable beers that are still full bodied and enjoyable, without weighing you down.

Here's the link:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/09/15/session-beer-with-the-mad-fermentationist-beersmith-podcast-22/

Dan

Is there a short time limit that this is available, I just downloaded it and all that is playing is a screensaver type display???

Cheers

Hi Dicko,

I just tried the link and clicked on the MP3-file. Everything works fine.
Regards,
Slurk

Thanks Slurk

I tried it again and it is all ok, can't explain what happened the first go.
Very informative. :)

Cheers

jomebrew said:
Beersmith will scale your recipe by gravity.  So, pick a recipe then scale it using the scale by gravity tool to lower the gravity to set the potential ABV to your liking.  I will typically tweak the new recipe to route numbers so I am not using weird fractions like 3.185 kg of grain.
Wow. Just came across this old post. I totally didn't know about this feature of BS and it's exactly what I was trying to do for an Honey APA I'm working on. Just tried it and it really works like a dream. So easy!

Thanks!

Back