• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Wizard

Jdtirado

Apprentice
Reaction score
As a newbie to both brewing and BS2, I would like to see a Wizard that walks you through your equipment. I'm not sure that I have mine fully set up, and this can adversely impact things.

There are several posters that have included detailed information here on the boards that can help you if you're stuck.  I agree though, it would be nice to see it as a wizard in the program itself.

Thanks,
  You might want to check out the videos page at http://beersmith.com/video

Brad

....and....http://beersmith.com/equipment-setup/

The things that generally vary from one setup to the next are:

Mash Tun Volume  -  Fill it full to the brim with water.

Mash Tun Weight -  Simply put your vessel on a scale.

Lauter Tun Deadspace - Measuring this can be a bit tricky without making a batch, unless you have a REAL empty space below a false bottom.  Most false bottoms don't really hold much volume.  If you have a manifold, I would set this at 0.25 quarts or so.  If you have a false bottom, maybe 1 quart.  If you have a bucket in bucket, then fill and measure. 

Boil Volume - Again, fill your kettle to 2" from the brim.  That is the most you can realistically boil.  Anything more is just a lot of work.

Boil off - Some consider this equipment related, I consider it recipe specific.  Anyway, you should be targeting 12-15% pre-boil volume per hour.  Generally, that's 1 gallon per hour.

Losses to trub/chiller - For a regular pot and siphoning this should be about 1 quart.  For a keggle with a spigot, fill with water and drain.  Dump out what won't drain, and measure it.

fermentation loss - 1.5 - 2 quarts per 5 gallons...unless you have some advanced fermentation vessel (conical or some such).

All of these will likely require some tweaking after you make a few batches.  Measure, measure, measure. Brew several batches with similar results before you make any changes.  Once you start to get similar results from batch to batch I would only make half the change you think you should between batches. 

Brewhouse efficiency is the hardest to nail.  My best advice is to set this low...60-65% until you get some experience to determine your real number.  It is much easier to compensate for getting better-than-expected extraction (just add water to get the right pre-boil), than it is to adjust for getting worse-than-expected extraction (you have to add dme or lme to compensate). 

Back