• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory Data

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Is there a way to add data about the items that are placed into inventory such as the purchase data, AA for hops, yeast good til date...?

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

So I at least found that I can add notes to a Hop for instance then add an amount in the inventory field and it will show up in the Inventory tab, that's good.  How can I get the Notes field to display in the Inventory tab?  It's greyed out in view option

Rick

You could change the name.

Instead of

"Barley, Flaked"

You could change the name to:

"Barley, Flaked, purchsed 10/2/10, opened 10/15/11, 10 pounds reserved for Lakeside Stout recipe, 2 pounds reserved for Cream ale recipe , purchased from Nothern Brewer".

But, Grathan, you'd have to then substitute the ingredient in the recipe, in order for it to be deducted from inventory.

Notes are an available column in the shopping list, but not inventory. I'd like to see that plus Origin and Supplier available in both reports. I've tried a custom report, without success.

Why would you have to substitute? I am currently not using Beersmith for inventory, but curious nonetheless.

The recipe follows what the ingredient is called. Change the name of the ingredient in the main list and the recipe will show "0" for inventory.

If you were using it for inventory, each time you brew you'd use the "remove from Inventory" button. If the ingredient name in the recipe does not match the ingredient database, the recipe will give an error message.

I use the inventory function quite a lot. It helps me order for a month's worth of brewing.

Ahh so your saying if you re-brew an old recipe that uses the old names then it won't deduct from inventory. That makes sense. I still haven't brewed a recipe twice and hadn't thought about not having to enter a recipe every time I brew.

grathan said:
I still haven't brewed a recipe twice and hadn't thought about not having to enter a recipe every time I brew.

That's one of the privileges of home brewing! In essence, you're building a recipe library. If you ever do start repeating recipes, that's where the brew log function becomes indispensable.  I copy from my library to the log folder, assign dates there and use that planning for developing a shopping list and maintaining inventory. That way, I have an electronic and a paper copy of what happened to each batch.

So back to the issue at hand...  We need more fields added to the inventory without going through the hops, grain... tabs

Rick

I agree with Toy4Rick.
Unless I'm missing something, I would have to add a hop entry to the ingredients list for every possible AA%. When you edit an ingredient in inventory, there are many things more important then price, which is about the only field available to edit. Does anyone know a workaround?

Back