• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Attenuation

B

brian320fo

I posted this in general discussions but realized this is a better place for it.

I was playing around with the mash profile on BeerSmith to see what profile yielded the highest attenuation for my recipe. I found that, according to BS2, that it occurs at about 64*C. But when I changed the length of the mash it had no effect on the predicted attenuation. If I mashed at 64*C for 1 minute it shows the same FG as if I mashed for 90 minutes. Surely there must be a difference in the FG obtainable when using different mash times. I also noticed that the predicted attenuation didn't change for different step mashes. From what I saw, the only factor in the BS mash profiles that effected the FG prediction was the one temperature near the mid 60*s C. Is this truly how FG is predicted or is there something missing in the BS calculations?

Thank you.

Back