• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing the water volume for a partial mash with BIAB

Foodhead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm currently trying to design a recipe to be partially mashed with BIAB, but can't get BeerSmith to use the proper amounts of water. I'm aiming at around 10 liters of water in a 20 liter pot, but when choosing "BIAB, Full Body" as mash profile, I'm getting 23 liters of water. (Probably as we're aiming for a boil volume of 20 liters and a final volume of 25 liters.)

Trying to edit the mash step, I can change the amount of water, but after closing the dialogue the value I added doesn't stick. (I'm assuming the program treats it as a full mash.)

How do I get around this?

/kalle.

Foodhead said:
Trying to edit the mash step, I can change the amount of water, but after closing the dialogue the value I added doesn't stick. (I'm assuming the program treats it as a full mash.)

How do I get around this?

The difference between the mash water and pre boil volume is "Top up water for the Kettle" in the equipment profile and/or the Vols tab. If you're adding the water after the boil, it's "Top up Water" found after the loss to trub in the same areas.

Back