• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes lost in the cloud

Foodhead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi!

The cloud service is excellent, but we've repeatedly had problems with updates not being saved permanently and (worse) recipes being entirely wiped out. (The recipe is still there, but empty.)

I'm afraid we've deleted the corrupted recipes, so we've got nothing to show for it at the moment, but is this a known bug?

We'll be quite reluctant to trust the cloud until we know it's safe. Is there an option to automatically make recipes save locally as well as in the cloud, just to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance!

/kalle.

Hi,
  They actually are saved locally as well (Documents/BeerSmith2/Cloudx.bsmx where x is a number).  These are saved daily.  The problem is that these are marked as a cloud folder, so opening them can create some problems and even crashes - especially if you try to do anything with them in place.

However in a pinch I have been able to open the CloudX.bsmx files then do a copy/paste of the recipe needed back into your My Recipes folder.  Then close the cloud file as working with it can cause crashes (it is not a format that was designed to be manipulated directly).

I would be very interested in hearing how you are getting recipes wiped out as I've not seen a single case of this.  Were you editing them in place?  Across multiple machines?  Just trying to narrow down where the bug could be.  Certainly if you have another case try to leave it in place so I can look at the file.

Also I'm working on a function to archive copies online (every day or so) so you could access/recover cloud versions later if needed.  I've not finished it yet, but it has been started.

Brad

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the recipe was opened and adjusted on at least three different computers, using two different BeerSmith licenses. The first time we noticed any kind of glitch was when my brewing partner had adjusted the recipe in the cloud (and then saved and closed it), and I just got the same old recipe when opening it my end. The last time it happened, I had gone through the recipe at work on brew day and made some last minute changes. When at home, starting to warm up the water, I opened it on my laptop and it was all wiped out.

I'll certainly keep toying around with this and will let you know if it happens again, and if we have anything to show for it. But really, automatically saving local copies that can be opened for editing... Wouldn't that be quite useful, anyhow?

Best,

/kalle.

BeerSmith said:
I would be very interested in hearing how you are getting recipes wiped out as I've not seen a single case of this.  Were you editing them in place?  Across multiple machines?  Just trying to narrow down where the bug could be.  Certainly if you have another case try to leave it in place so I can look at the file.

Now it's happened again!

It's in the cloud, but "private". What do you need in order to find it?

Name of the recipe: "Åpa 2.0 - fullkorn"

Username: Foodhead

Let me know if you need more info!

/kalle.

Also, trying to reach it from the web leads to this:

Warning: usort() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /home/beersmit/public_html/cloud/lib/show_ing.php on line 49

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/beersmit/public_html/cloud/lib/show_ing.php on line 68

...which also gives me the impression that the array holding the ingredients just up and vanished. :/

(Oh, and I saw the post earlier about Gold members now being able to bring back older versions of their recipes. That's great, of course, but as you might understand I'm not overly eager to pay extra for a service that doesn't quite seem to work. As soon as I know it does, though, I'll go there. It's a great service, when it works.)

Thanks,
  I have a suspicion that this might be happening if you have a cloud recipe still open and then close down BeerSmith. Possibly a portion of the program is closing before a complete copy of the current version can be published and saved to the server.

I'm going to set up some test cases around this possibility next week to see if I can duplicate it.  I'll also pull your recipe to see if I can figure out what is going on.

Brad

I just had the same issue. Fortunately I always keep a google docs version of my recipes!

The recipe is still there and some of the stats but the ingredients have been completely cleared. I was editing the recipe from a second machine (and might have left it open?). I'll have to check when I get home as I am on machine 1 now.

Back