• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Negative Sparge Water error?? (HERMS)

colokevin

New Forum Member
Reaction score
New Beersmith2 user here. 

In my recipe's "Mash" tab, it shows a "-1.66 gal" sparge volume with a red dot next to it.  Obviously that is not correct.  I also have a red dot next to "11.97 gal" Mash Volume Needed and "10.0 gal" Mash Tun Volume.  I'd like your help to fix those errors.

I use a 10 gallon Gott Cooler with false bottom as my mash tun.  I have a HERMS system, so my Heat Exchanger is a second 10 gallon Gott cooler with a copper coil for wort recirculation and installed heating element to maintain/ramp the temperatures.

I usually add all my strike + sparge water into my Heat Exchanger (cooler), heat it to strike temp, transfer my strike water to my mash tun, then mash in.  Once the grain bed is settled, I begin recirculation from the mash tun, through the heat exchanger coils, then back into the mash tun.  The strike water remains in the Heat Exchanger (cooler) to transfer the heat to the wort in the coils.  When it's time to sparge, I begin draining the mash tun and fly sparge my sparge water onto the mash bed. 

So obviously this is why I'm getting the "Mash Volume Needed" vs "Mash Tun Volume" error.  I can explain that because my strike water + sparge water + grain volume exceeds my mash tun volume.  My strike water is stored in my Heat Exchanger so it doesn't get added to my mash tun until enough wort has drained out of the mash tun.  Fine, but how do I fix the error???

More importantly, why do I have "-1.66 gal" sparge water?  No idea where that is coming from. 

Back