• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

C02

Don Helman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is it possible to get bad C02? My beer has a burnt rubber after taste.

No. That's probably dead yeast flavor... Aka autolysis.  Tell me more about your fermentation. 

What yeast did you use?
How old was it?
Did you make a started?
What temps did you fermentation at?
How long did you leave it on the yeast?
What beer were you making? Og? Fg?
Did you oxygenate? How?

Tom,

I used safale-05. It is a American pale ale that I primary fermented for 7 days then transfered to secondary and left it in the secondary for about 5 weeks in a room in my basement that is 65 deg. I have brewed this beer many times but never left it set in secondary for more than 7 days. I forced carbonated it and when I tasted it it has a burnt rubber after taste. The reason I ask about the c02 is because I ran out of c02 part way through another keg of American Pale Ale and used the same c02 on that keg and now it also has this burnt rubber after taste.

I've used that yeast many times.

How did you pitch? Did you sprinkle it on top, or did you hydrate it in water first?

Apa, so 1.050 ish?

What temp did you primary at?

Did you oxygenate or aerate before you pitched?

I'm not aware of any way that co2 can cause any off flavors. There are no impurities in industrial co2.

Burnt rubber is the classic description of dead yeast flavor.

I do not think it has anything directly to do with the length of your secondary.  I'm guessing that you did not oxygenate, and that you sprinkled directly onto the wort, and maybe you fermented warm. All of which will contribute to stressing the yeast, ultimately causing them to die prematurely. 

I don't keg, so I may be talking thru an unnamed part of my anatomy, but I would check my lines, and think about force carbonating some distilled water. If the water has the same bad taste, the problem is in the equipt.

Just a thought from someone who knows little about the subject.

Ed

Tom,

I did this brew the same as the last 15 or so batches. I stirred the heck out of the wort before pitching the yeast and yes I sprinkled the yeast on top. Fermentation was at 65 degrees.
So I guess it could of been bad yeast. I'm glad to know that the c02 is not the problem. I just kegged a Honey Nut Brown and was hopping that it turns out ok.

Thank you for your input.

Back