• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best way to configure Strike/Mash Temps

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Here is how I move through my process up to starting mash.

Start with a room temp mash tun (72*), add strike water at 180 degrees for 15 mins to pre-heat.  At 170* dough in with room temp grain bill (72*).  This usually puts me right about 156*.  I can adjust temp from there based on desired mash temp.

I tried using a smaller amount of pre-heat water then dump then add strike however I still must adjust the strike water, so to me, its easier to pre-heat with strike water and dough in at the right temp.

What is the best way to setup BS to reflect this process.

TIA, Toy4Rick

I follow a very similar process, except that I use different mash temps for different beers. So, i heat my strike water to target temp plus 10 and dump into mlt to preheat it. When the water drops to my target dough in temperature, i add the grains. This leaves me 1 or 2 degrees above my mash temp. I check mash ph after 5 minutes, and add acid and stir. This puts me dead on my mash temp. I might lose 1 or 2 degrees during the mash after that.

I don't do anything special in BeerSmith for this process. I choose my desired mash profile and select "compensate for equipment temperature ".  Then I just mentally add the extra 10 degrees to my strike temperature. 

I do the same thing, over-heating a bit and mashing in when it hits the strike temp.  One difference, however, is that I do not check the "compensate" box since I'm already way over-compensating.  The check box adds 1-2 degrees to compensate for a cool MLT; unnecessary since I'm heating it up. 

I keep some boiling water standing by on the stove to add in if I'm low, but that is more rare now that I've finally figured it out.

MaltLicker said:
I do the same thing, over-heating a bit and mashing in when it hits the strike temp.  One difference, however, is that I do not check the "compensate" box since I'm already way over-compensating.  The check box adds 1-2 degrees to compensate for a cool MLT; unnecessary since I'm heating it up. 

Agreed.  I've always used the checkbox.  So, to remain consistent with past brews...I continue to do the same time.  It leaves me with a mash about 2* above target temp...since, my mlt is not heated (RIMS, HERMS, etc)...this gets me the beer I'm after in the end.  I could uncheck it, but then I'd have to relearn the right offset to end up 2* high.  Consistency....

I did maybe 25 batches with a cooler and BeerSmith.  I would check the compensate box, strike at a bit more than that temperature, and let the mash tun rest, equalizing the heat while it came down to the uncompensated temperature, at which point I'd dough in.

It would have been nice if BeerSmith showed both temperatures at once.

Now that I have a direct fired keggle MLT, I just use the uncompensated temperature.

Back