• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

july hop harvest

piper55

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
my chinook hops are so out of control I will be harvesting this thing in a couple of weeks,I mean ounces and ounces of hops not just a few, Its nice dont get me wrong but I am in Connecticut and I have never heard of such an early hop harvest.

My cascade hops are about a month ahead of schedule compared to last year.  The mild winter and spring here in southwest Indiana got the hops started early this year.  The bines are close to 25 ft tall and loaded with big plump cones.  I'm thinking harvest should be somewhere around mid July.  It will be interesting to see how they tolerate the high 90 degree temps and high humidity coming the at the end of this week. 

we are about the same latitude so i guess its just a good season, my cascade are big but just starting to flower

Harvested my Cascade hops this morning... about a month ahead of last year. This one plant, in its second year, yielded 7.7 ounces (wet).  Off to the garage attic to dry. 
The Fuggle plants are very disappointing this year as far as yield is concerned.  A lot of follage, but few cones and they are small. 
See attachments.

Attachments

• Cascade Hops 001.JPG
    Cascade Hops 001.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
I have been cherry picking it,a few oz. so far but it just keeps flowering,its awesome huge 3 inch cones. I see a chinook ipa all winter.

Just harvested another 6.4 oz. (wet) of cascade this afternoon.  This one plant yielded nearly 14 oz. of hops this year compared to just a few oz. in its first year.  I'm not sure what the average yield is for a single plant, but I'm impressed with this one plant. 
Just the opposite with the Fuggle plants.  Two plants... almost nothing to harvest.  I doubt that I'll get more than a couple of ounces.  I may not even harvest the small cones on this plant.  Both plants look unhealthy.

Back