• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun filter

volkvanmyn25

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi. My micro brewing setup is almost complete. I've been looking at different types of mash tun filters. My first filter consisted out of braided mesh but the flowrate out of the tun is to slow so then I decide to use a filter that looks like this: 

Do you you guys think the holes are to big?

Attachments

• mash filter.jpg
    mash filter.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 8
I'm assuming the hole size for a false bottom or other filter system should be a bit less than the average grain particle size so the particles will lay across the holes without completely blocking them. More particles will bridge the gap between the first layer of particles until you get a maze of particles that block other particles from going through the holes. Your filter looks to have holes too small for most particles to penetrate, so it should work. One sure way to find out is to try it. Just be sure to ask: "What's the worst thing that could happen?" My guess is that your answer will be: a. The filter could clog resulting in a stuck sparge, or b. the filter could let a lot of grain through. Generally, I've seen that even with with a course filter, the grain bed will eventually set and grain will eventually stop coming through.

Assuming the pipe fitting is 1/2 inch, the filter looks a little small to maintain the flow I'd prefer - all those particles laying across the holes restrict the flow a bit. Consider using a bag inside your mash tun. I sewed a bag of the sort used by BIAB brewers (made of "voil", a fine-weave polyester cloth) to line my mash tun; I've heard of others using large paint filter bags - don't know if they're reusable, but they might be worth the expense to avoid having to sew a bag. There's a bazooka filter under my bag to give plenty of area for wort to flow through. My wort clears quickly and I've had no stuck sparges or slow run-offs.

With a bag, if something goes wrong - my ultra cheap pump failed in the middle of my last batch - you can switch to BIAB in mid-stream and rescue your batch of beer. That raises the question: "Why not just use BIAB to begin with?" My answer: I prefer the finer temperature control I get with my HERMS system.

Dan

I've tried a couple different "filters" on my 10 gallon Igloo's, bazooka on the valve and siphon with a bazooka siphon tube & biab.  I've had my best results with a combination of a copper pipe maniflod & false bottom placed on top of the manifold.  Wort runs clear very quickly, very easy to clean and I do not throw a bag away at every brew.  I do make sure not to drain too fast, and NEVER disturb the bottom inch or two of the grain bed when doing decoction mashes!
  I keep the slots cut on the copper tubing facing down and to the center of the tun.  That along with the stainless false bottom insures I am draining through the thickest part of the mash and also acts like a dam preventing a lot of junk clogging the manifold around the edges of the false bottom.  It usually runs clear after the first couple of liters removed!

Back