• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Missing target OG

texasdan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Being new to Beersmith2, perhaps someone more experienced can answer this.
I set BS2 to Batch size 2.75 Gal, Tot efficiency 80%
I wanted to create an AG batch with an OG 1.054 (Plato 13.5).
The BS2 printout showed Est OG 13.507 Plato.
Everything fine so far. But after mashing my preboil gravity was 1.051 (Plato 13.0) and
a 60 min post boil gravity to the fermenter was 1.060 (Plato 16.0), way over my planned target of 13.5 Plato..
Instead of an ABV of around 5.1 or so I'm thinking I will end up closer to 6%...

Am I missing a setting in BS2, should I adjust malts letting BS2 reflect a lower estimated OG, or??  I hesitate to add additional water to the fermenter..

Also, on a side question, even though my equipment profile is set to small batch 2.72 Gal, the data on my design screen (lower right) continues to show batch size 18.93 gal, efficiency 460.4%.  I can't figure where this is coming from....

In order to sort this out, we need to know all the associated volumes.  Always quote SG@volume.

Being so new to Beersmith, not sure exactly what you mean by "all associated volumes" and "SG volume", but assume you might mean water volumes for the recipe.  Sorry to be such a nube on this.  Looks like I need to go back to the tutorials..

I was thinking that when I specify a mash profile and an equip profile, then specify my batch size for the recipe, all would then fill in appropriately.    I do notice that on the volume screen that even though the calc-boil-vol is checked and all bullets are showing blue, the "est preboil vol is at 3.36 gal" but the "measured preboil vol is at 5.00 gal, fermentation/bottling section is at 18.93 gal, and measured bottling volume at 5.00 gal.  Everything else I believe is set to my profile and recipe. 

Am attaching my volume screen.

Attachments

• water volume.jpg
    water volume.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 578
BeerSmith makes its best estimate of certain values based on what you entered, and Garbage-in, Garbage-out does apply, and then when you enter the Measured results, BeerSmith provides calculated ratios and percentages that help you fine-tune and dial-in your settings for the next brew. 

The fields that appear 'white' and/or are editable and/or say "Meas" are expecting you to enter what really happened, i.e., what you measured on game day.  At the least, you should enter what BeerSmith provided as the estimated result so that the related calculated figures will appear logical and match up. 

But, for ex, if your EE% is measured at 65% and you used 75% last time, you should use 65% the next time and constantly adjust it until you get somewhat consistent results.  Then you should start getting fairly close to the forecast OG, ABV and such. 

texasdan said:
Being so new to Beersmith, not sure exactly what you mean by "all associated volumes" and "SG volume", but assume you might mean water volumes for the recipe.  Sorry to be such a nube on this.  Looks like I need to go back to the tutorials..

I was thinking that when I specify a mash profile and an equip profile, then specify my batch size for the recipe, all would then fill in appropriately.    I do notice that on the volume screen that even though the calc-boil-vol is checked and all bullets are showing blue, the "est preboil vol is at 3.36 gal" but the "measured preboil vol is at 5.00 gal, fermentation/bottling section is at 18.93 gal, and measured bottling volume at 5.00 gal.  Everything else I believe is set to my profile and recipe. 

Am attaching my volume screen.

Sorry Dan.  I should have been more thorough in my response. 

A number of people have issues with extraction efficiency vs. the beersmith number.  Everyone always comes and quotes a few gravity readings and maybe a percentage of some sort, but doesn't quote the volume of wort that had the gravities they quote.  I've posted several lengthy posts on the topic. 

In order to answer any question regarding extraction or efficiency, or compare beersmith calculated vs. real values, we have to know the total sugars involved.  In order to calculate that you need to know the volume of wort that you are measuring.  Further, you need to know the volume to 1/8th of a gallon or so.  1/4 gallon is "okay", but it decreases the accuracy that you can expect to achieve.

So, to answer your questions, I need to know Gravity, volume, and temperature before and after the boil. 

Thank you both for your very useful and prompt responses..
I'll need to pay better attention next time to what Beersmith is really telling me and what I need to adjust.
I think part of what happened is I scaled a 5 gal recipe to a 2.75 gal and all fields weren't scaled down accordingly.  Also my 1st AG batch for a lager didn't turn out as expected due to improper equipment for mashing, boil kettle size, insufficient heating capability and fermenting in plastic.    It was still acceptable beer but not the level I expected.
On my 2nd try at AG I switched to a carboy and larger brew kettle, but I was a little impatient so I failed to mark my glass fermenter and boil kettle for levels and added what BS2 told me to mash and sparge with, but took the volumes given.
I really like BS2 but still have a lot to learn setting it up properly and understanding what it's telling me.
Sure wish there was a Beersmith for Dummies..
Thanks again for your help.

There is a lot of discussion regarding plastic over glass fermenters.  I have used nothing but plastic, HDPE, for my fermentation.  If there is a "off" flavor, I have never noticed it.  I did notice that my last 2xIPA left a slight yellow stain in the bucket.  That was a 10.4+ ABV, 102 IBU nock yer socks off brew.  If I could repeat that brew every time I would never even consider glass.  My $00.02!

I believe my plastic issue is resolved. 
I hadn't noticed an off taste in my beer either, but it took a professional brewer with more discerning taste buds than myself to notice a slight chlorine taste, though I always use filtered water.
I didn't believe him at first but it got me thinking so I decided to do a little research.
I have since learned a little on the various types of food grade plastics.  Some classes have exceptional gas, moisture and absorbtion protective barriers.
Checked with my LHBS and their plastics were Class 1's (PET) and 2's (HDPE)...

My problem was I decided to brew on the cheap and was using icing containers, Class 5 PP, from my local grocery for fermenters.  After a batch I'd soak them in Oxiclean and "tap water" 24 hours.  I think the plastic was absorbing some of the chlorine and effecting subsequent batches.  It might not have made a difference if I hadn't let them soak so long, but now I've moved to glass anyway and use the buckets only for bottling.

Here's a link on grades of plastic that hopefully will save someone from making my mistake.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Great Link!  Most of my fermenters are from my local HBS.  I did get 2 x 10 gallon and 2 x 15 gallon barrels that had pickles in them.  The 15 gallon barrels are really nice, large handles on the sides and easy to stack.  Until I start brewing 10 - 12 gallon batches they serve as grain storage.  Both the 10 & 15 gallon barrels have a removable rubber gasket in the lids.

Back