• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flying Dog "In Heat Wheat" Clone

khedquist

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon brewers,

I am trying to create a clone similar to meet he demands of my free loading friends drinking my homebrew and I am close to cracking the code but still missing something ( Spice). I was wondering if anyone else has attempted or can comment on my recipe. The last batch was pretty close but I have the hombrewing OCD and I noticed after my 5th or 6th beer that they (Flying Dog) seem to have a little more spice in there beer and I don't know if this is from their yeast or are they adding something I am missing. This is what I have so far 5 gallon batch:

Ingredients
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 55.0 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 35.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 10.0 %
0.25 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 6.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 5.3 IBUs
0.15 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 1.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Cheers,
Kody

Caveat: I have not had this beer.

However, I've made severeal hefes. From what I can read about this beer it is a basic here with some notes of citrus and some floral.  As such, it should be, at least 50% wheat malt. 

You don't really describe what you think I missing from the clone.

To get the citrus you might split your hops 50/50 between the perle and an American C hop, maybe centennial.  You could also move in a wit direction and try some crushed coriander or orange zest.

So, again I haven't had the beer, and you didn't described what's missing. But, that would be my approch to getting the flavors described of it.

Back