• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging; Foamy Pour

zymurgist05

Master Brewer
Reaction score
A few months ago, I added a second faucet to my kegging system and ever since, I can't get a good pour on one of the two faucets.  I've tried to rule out problems with the faucets, kegs and tubing.  Whatever I try to do, one faucet (not the same faucet) pours wild... mostly foam.  The other faucet has a good pour.  I use a singe regulator and a double CO2 distribution valve.  When the one keg with the good pour blows and I take it off of pressure, the faucet that didn't pour well pours nicely after I draw off a couple of pints.  As soon as I add a second keg, the same thing happens. 
Any ideas why this is happening?

Foam is generally caused by either overpressure or cavitation.  Cavitation would not go away like you describe, so I'm leaning towards overpressure. 

Do you have check valves in you manifold? 

Do you notice a change in flow rate when the foam starts?

Have you tried decreasing the regulator pressure?

Have you bled off the foamy keg?

I agree its a weird problem, but somehow I think one leg is getting more pressure than the other.  Maybe mark the co2 lines and see if the problem follows one line or the other. Swap kegs around and burp off the excess pressure. Then let the system equaliser an pull some pints.

Tom
The CO2 distributor does not have check valves...  just shutoff valves. 
I don't notice a change in flowrate as I pour, but I do notice that the beer starts to pour normally and then seems to turn foamy.
I've dropped the regulator pressure 2 psi, bled off the pressure and the only change is the slower flowrate.
I always bleed off the pressure of the new keg before I connect it to the CO2 distributor.  Otherwise, without the check valves, beer backs up into the gas tubing (force carbed pressure is 40-45 psi vs. 10 psi at the distributor).
Maine Homebrewer
Why would the pressure be different from one keg to another?  Both are connected to the CO2 distributor which is connected to the regulator.

Attachments

• distributor.docx
    17.2 KB · Views: 284
I had a similar problem a while ago but I hadnt just added a second faucet.  Replacing the distributor solved the problem.

Just a guess, but it is sounding like the two kegs are pushing each other, because the regulator is not delivering gas fast enough. This could be because the dispense pressure is below the carbonation level of the beer.  The foamy keg is probably the one with more carbonation and that is pushing the "good" beer.

To verify, shut off the gas to the "good" keg. Then see of the foaming goes away in about 15 minutes.

The answer may be in making sure the liquid lines are long enough and skinny enough to give you enough resistance that you can dispense at carbonation pressure. The resistance of the liquid line should equal the CO2 pressure, minus the rise, minus one lb. The net result is that the beer should pour at just 1 lb over the total sum of line and rise resistance.

Micromatic's forum discusses this issue ad nauseum.

I suggest you shut off gas to the foamy keg and let it pour from its own pressure for a few days until the foam resides.  Works for me every time. Just don't let it run flat. 

Back