• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First batch foams entirely out of bottle

Klotesox

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch and everything went smoothly until I went to open one and try it. When opened it foamed out of the bottle completely and there was nothing left to drink. After retreading the directions it stated to store in cool dark place after bottling. Did that mean the fridge?  Seems like it was over carbonated to me. Could that be from keeping in a dark place at 65 degrees. To me I thought that was "cool". Can I save my remaining batch somehow. It's only been in the fridge for 2 days.

The location was fine....65-70 is what I carbonate my bottles at.  I agree, you over-carbonated.  How did you carbonate?

The recipe called for 3 tbls of honey with a 1/4 cup of water which is what I did first and then siphoned into that and then siphoned into the bottles and capped immediately and let sit for two weeks. Exactly when the directions stated. It was a gallon batch

I did end up with a decent amount of trub in the bottles could that cause the bottles to be over carbonated? 

Hi
      It may be an infection called gushing, it happened to me once . I put a link http://www.crc.dk/flab/fusarium.htm

Carlos (Argentina)

Thanks for the link. It kind of sounds like what is happening. It reminds me of when u put mentos in a 2 liter of coke. I'm wondering too if I possibly had too much primer or would it be possible that fermentation wasn't complete and adding the primer gave the yeast that much more sugar to react with

Well, I don't think so because an overcarbonation would make some bottles burst or after opening them some beer would be left in the bottle and would have left a sharp bitting sensation in your mouth such as when you drink a very cold glass Of coke or soda water. In the other hand gushing leaves a taste that although not so disagreeable as other contaminations you realize that it's not the taste it should have. And foam continues to come out and only settles after a very long period of time.

i appreciate the link.  after looking at the pictures on it, that looks like exactly what is happening.  you were very helpful.  thanks.

What sanitizer did you use?  It is pretty common for kits to include a cleaner instead of a sanitizer. 

I've had my fair share of gushers, and they all had rings in the neck of the bottle left behind by whatever was growing in there.

How did you fill your bottles? If you left too much air space you will get overcarbonation and "poppers"
Was this a Mr Beer?

Back