• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Turn

Carl Davis

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am just getting into "All Grain" brewing after doing the Extract for a couple of years.  I brew in 5 gallon batchs.  The problem I have is that the book "How to Brew" stated that the mash turn should be sized to the brew size.  My thought was to use a round ingloo cooler but not sure if I should use the 5gal or 10 gal.  The statement in the book is that there may be an issue with a larger size as to sparging the mash and it compacting to much.  Can anyone help a newbe. 

Thanks  Carl

I'd getty bigger than 5 gallons.  I use a 12 gal tun for 5 and 10, gal batches.

I also recomend a minimum of a 10 gallon Igloo.  For most brews it has enough volume, although I have a couple recipes that I need my 15 "Cube".  My manifold w/ false bottom fits both. 
  I have only had 1 stuck sparge and that was because of my own error (installed the manifold upside down, duh) and too fine a grain crush.  I ran 2 brews that day with the same grind.  The second brew I installed the manifold correctly and added rice hulls, it worked perfectly even with a powdery grain bed.  Just be patient and draw off the mash SLOWLY!

A mash-tun that is the same as your batch size can make a beer up to about 1.050 gravity.  You can squeeze a couple extra points out by filling it to the brim, or with a really thick mash....but, I've done that a few times and it kinda sucks all the fun out of a brew. 

A mash tun that is twice your batch size allows you to make pretty much anything below 1.100.  It might still be a struggle to make a 1.120 all-grain, barley-wine.  In that case though extract or simple sugar is almost always part of the grain bill anyway. 

I used a 5 gallon round cooler for many years.  It worked fine for all those 1.050-1.055 "standard" beers.  Both of the round coolers make for a very deep grain bed, when full.  This CAN be an issue for causing a stuck sparge.  I never had any actually get STUCK, but I did have a few that drained VERY slow.  I would be concerned that the 10 gallon would be worse if it were full.  I know a lot of people use them successfully though. 

I have a 12 gallon Ice Cube, now.  I simply moved by old 5 gallon round false-bottom over to the cube.  NOTE: I batch sparge.  The small false bottom would not be ideal if I fly-sparged.  I wouldn't get good flow near the cooler walls, especially in the corners.  But, since I batch sparge..its a non-issue.  I like the shorter mash-bed afforded by the greater footprint of the Ice Cube.  Plus, the Ice Cube coolers are a lot cheaper for the volume you get compared to the round coolers.

With the 12 gallon cube I can easily stir the mash without worrying about splashing over the sides.  I can drain without worrying about  stuck sparge.  I can basically make any beer I want, 5 gallons up to 1.110ish, 10 gallons up to 1.070ish, 15 gallons 1.045ish. 

Back