• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A few questions about adding new grains

ccfoo242

Apprentice
Reaction score
I bought a 50lb bag of Rahr standard 2-row today and it has a tag on it with lots of info. I'm trying to add this to my ingredients but I'm not sure how to translate some of the items.

Color: The color on the tag is 2.01L, which converts to 2.11SRM, I think...
Diastatic power: The tag lists 166 degrees dry basis. Is this the same as degrees lintner?
Potential: this isn't on the tag. how do I calculate this?
Yield: this isn't on the tag. how do I calculate this?
Course-fine difference: what is this?

Here is a good article on understanding what you are asking.
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/bmg/noonan.html

Ed

Thanks for the link.

So 166 degrees dry basis really is degrees Lintner or WK? Rahr is an American company so I guess I can assume Lintner.

The article lists as an example:
Typical North American Malt Analysis -- Two-Row Brewers Malt
Extract (DBFG) 80-81%
Extract (DBCG) 79-80%
Diastatic Power (DP) 110-160 °Lintner (385-520 °WK)

As for potential, I found this in Palmer's How to Brew:
To calculate the maximum yield for the malts and other adjuncts, the percent extraction for each is multiplied by the reference number for sucrose-46 points/pound/gallon (ppg)

Using the above example of extract DBFG 80-81% I get about 1.037.  Does that sound correct? I'll have to check the tag on the malt when I get home from work to see what extract % is lists.

I now see that changing potential in beersmith changes yield so I only need one of them.

Anyone know how coarse/fine difference effects Beersmith's calculations?

Back