• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone have a wheat beer with Cheeries added to primary

I just finished a raspberry wheat that I am very happy with. Used 3# of trader joes frozen raspberries in the secondary. Mashed them up to get a puree and then strained it in a mesh hop bag to get the seeds out. Added the strained puree to the secondary. The beer a distinctly red color and a very nice raspberry taste. Tasted it next to purple haze and I would say it has a cleaner raspberry flavor with the fruit very forward.
Hopefully this will give you some ideas for using the cherries.
The image shows my beer on left when tasted next to Purple Haze. - Everyone voted for my beer, but at a family dinner that is not a surprise. Friends mostly liked it, but those who shy away from fruity beer think it is too fruity.

Mash Ingredients
Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) - 8oz
Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) - 4#
Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)  - 4#
Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) - 2#
tettnang - 1oz first wort + 1 oz 5min
wlp410

I would suggest not to use any fruit ever in the primary. I f fruit is added it should be done like finishing hops.
End of the boil is OK, but it is probably best to add fruit to a secondary.

Back