• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When to bottle

Klotesox

Apprentice
Reaction score
Im on my second batch ever. Im only brewing a gallon but The first time I didn't even get to drink the beer because every bottle foamed out upon opening. I posted that and believe it was from an infection and not over carbonation. I'm concerned now though that I don't want to bottle too early. It's been fermenting for two weeks now and actually want to drink a beer I've created. Should I wait longer. Still seems to be bubbling out of the airlock. Should I wait till no activity or is that too long.

If you do not already have one, get a hydrometer. You need to check the gravity reading and then check it again a couple days later. If it stays the same, it should be done fermenting at the 2 week stage.

Klotesox said:
...Still seems to be bubbling out of the airlock. Should I wait till no activity or is that too long.
Yes, wait.  Sitting a couple more days or even another week can't hurt.  Are over priming maybe?

There is a way to tell if your gushers were a result of an infection or overcarbonation.

Rings.

Hold a dirty bottle to the light and look for ring(s) in the neck where the beer level was. If you see a ring then you can be positive that you had an infection.
Every gusher I've had had a ring or two in the neck.

As far as knowing when to bottle, what bigchicken said is the way to know for sure. 

Personally I wait. I brew it faster than I drink it, so I'm never in a rush to bottle (in my case keg).

Back