• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Temp

D

danholmes

Hey Brad et all-

For some reason my mash temp was about 5 degrees low today (shotting for 151 and hit 146). I'm thinking I must need to adjust my Mash Tun Specific Heat. What's wierd is that it as been pretty accurate up until this point. I checked the temp with two different thermometers and they were within a degree of each other. I also ajusted my grain temp and mash tun temp based on their temps. The only difference is that I usually do 10 gallon batched with this cooler (more grain) and this batch I'm only doing 5 gallons. Could that be part of the problem? Here is a link to the recipe: http://www.danielholmes.net/download/

Could you suggest a Mash Tun Specific Heat setting?

Daniel,
 Yes, it is certainly possible that going from a 5 gallon to 10 gallon batch would change your equipment settings.  BeerSmith tries to account for this, but some tweaking may be needed.

Given that you were off by a full 5 degrees, you might want to create a separate equipment profile for your 10 gal batches (just duplicate the old one and then rename it).  I would probably go with a mash tun specific heat setting of 0.3 on the next batch and then try to dial it in as you go.

Also - make sure you had the "Adjust temp for equipment" box checked on your recipe (its in the mash profile section).  I know several people who have had a problem with low mash temps when this was not checked.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad-

I noticed when I changed my Specific Heat to 3.00 for plastic, it only raised my mash in temp by one degree. Since my last mash was low by 5 degrees, should I adjust my Specific Heat upwards until the mash in temp increases 5 degrees, or does that not make sense?

Dan,
 You might want to take the mash tun specific heat a little higher.

I don't know if you need to go the full 5 degrees since you are really just raising the temperature of the grain which has about 1/3rd the specific heat of water.

If I had to guess, you might want to raise it enough to add 2-3 degrees to your infusion.

Cheers!
Brad

Thank you. It occurs to be that I haven't been entering accurate temperatures for my grain and mash tun temp (prior to the batch we are currently talking about, this one is accurate). Do you think that once I dial in the Mash Tun Specific heat at my 6.5 gallon size, that it will be much different when I'm doing an 11.5 gallon batch?

Dan,
 As I mentioned, the program tries to adjust for the batch size even for larger mash tuns.  Therefore I'm guessing the "new" values might be closer to your actuals - especially if you did not keep track of it in the past.  

It might take a few batches to dial it all in, but once you do you should be able to get very consistent results.

Cheers!
Brad

Back