• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing a Peach Wheat...

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
...so I've brewed a Peach Wheat which is currently in a fermenter.  Primary fermentation should end soon to which I will rack into secondary.  It's a five gallon batch and I was thinking of adding 10 lbs of peaches to the secondary before I racked in.

I will peel them, remove the pits and freeze them to open the cell walls for sugar.  When I'm ready to rack, should I just thaw them out and place them in secondary?  Or should I sterilize at 185 degrees before placing them in?  I'm freezing them in a standard freezer, which I've been told will not sterilize everything.  But if I place them in a pot of water at 185 for 20 to 30 minutes, I should be good.  Does anyone have a recommendation?

I don't have any recommendation, but I would truly love some follow on to how the peach wheat works out.  Please come back and post final flavor analysis!

Hi Bobo,
Sterilizing them before adding to your second works logical. However, I have had some bad experience with boiling plums (in order to sterilize them) due to high pectine levels in plums. The effect is that you get a haze in your beer. I checked on internet and Peach is relative low on pectines. So I think that will go well but it still could be a point of concern and observation:)
Regards,
Slurk

...thanks Slurk.  I don't think I'll boil them.  I don't want too much of a cooked tasted.  I probably will toss them in 180 degree water for 20 to 30 minutes.  I think that should sterilize them enough without altering the taste.

I will post results and recipe when complete, Humble.

Back