• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

nonalcoholic malt beer recipes

G

Ganglion

Hi - just wondering if anyone knows of any good nonalcoholic malt beer recipe sites

Here's a starting point:

http://byo.com/feature/66.html

Apparently you can brew a regular malted beer and then boil off a lot of the alcohol at low temperature because the alcohol boils at a lower temperature (~70C) than the water/beer.  Higher body (high dextrin) beers tend to do better.  You might want to try a full bodied ale or even a darker beer as the extra body/flavor may mask the lack of alcohol balance.

You need to repitch yeast to carbonate naturally (or force carbonate) as the heating will kill the yeast.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself.

Going back to your original question - I'm not aware of a recipe archive for no-alcohol beer.  I would probably start with a full bodied standard ale or brown beer to see how that turns out.

Cheers!
Brad

I tried doing it before as beersmith suggested. Split a ten gallon batch. The Nonalcoholic beer had similar taste but had a very noticeable cardboard taste. Ended up tossing it.

Back