• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SRM values in Beersmith2

Wingeezer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I'm fairly new at both homebrewing and also beersmith,  but today, I tried in-putting a few clone recipes. 

Beersmith2 calculations seemed to match the specs in the book fairly closely except for the SRM values.  The Beersmith2 estimates predicted a considerably lighter beer than the book suggests.

I suppose the problem could just as easily be with the book as with beersmith, but I wondered if this was a known issue with Beersmith2. 

A recipe that I wanted to try soon is  a "Newcastle Brown"  clone.

In the grain bill, the recipe includes 2 oz of chocolate malt.  I had to increase this to 6 oz in Beersmith2  in order to get Beersmith to show an SRM value similar  to what the book suggested, and to get the colour representation in Beersmith2 to look like a
Newcastle Brown (actually it still looks a bit on the light side with 6 oz chocolate but i was a bit afraid of increasing the amount further, and the SRM numbers did come up about right with 6 oz.)

So what I am wondering - whether to trust the book or trust Beersmith2?

If I do increase the chocolate malt from 2 to 6 oz,  is this primarily going to just darken the beer or will it have any significant impact on the taste?

Any and all advice appreciated - I'd like  to avoid screwing  up a batch!

Thanks ......................  Brian.

(PS - I noticed with several other recipes from the same book that Beersmith2 was consistantly showing a considerably lower SRM when I input the recipe.  IBU's and ABV5 figures matched fairly closely. )

IMO, two ounces of chocolate malt will get you hints of roast, some red hues in color, and will darken it nicely.  Six ounces would be more noticeable, flavor-wise, and give more of the other stuff too. 

You may want to check that the Lovibond of all the grains are identical.  Chocolate malt in particular varies a lot between the different maltsters. 

Thanks for the input - maybe I should stock closer to the book recipe and not worry about the colour - it still falls in teh range of an english brown ale anyway.

I did notice that the book called for British chocolate malt and British black malt in the recipe.  When I picked the grains from the beersmith2 list it didn't refer to the grains as British, so maybe there is a difference between US & British varieties.

Brian

Back