• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A nice malty Hefeweizen

Humble Brewer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for a Hefeweizen recipe that has great body and a great malty flavor without a lot of hoppiness.  Anyone know a good one?  For background I spent 5 years in Germany and fell in love with a hefe called "Das Weizen" and simply have not been able to recreate it back here in the states.  Most American weizen recipes are too hoppy, and when I track down a Bavarian weizen recipe it comes out a little too heavy on the fruity side.  The Das Weizen beer was very mellow, very malty and cloudy.  Perhaps almost a session beer because I could certainly sit around drinking it all night  :)

I would love some pointers on dialing in a recipe like the above.  Regardless, my quest for the perfect weizen continues!

Try this one....local brewer scored this one a 42. 

Either mill wheat twice or mill with gap of .031 inches.  Sparge for at least an hour with 170° water.  No need for a yeast starter.  Primary fermentation for 7-10 days, no secondary. 

Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
6.0 oz                Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)            Adjunct      2        3.6 %       
5 lbs                Premium Pilsner Malt (Rahr) (1.8 SRM)    Grain        3        48.2 %       
5 lbs                Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)  Grain        4        48.2 %       
0.80 oz              Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min    Hop          5        12.8 IBUs   
0.20 oz              Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min      Hop          6        0.0 IBUs     
5.25 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 0.0 mins)          Other        7        -           
1.0 pkg              Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast        8        -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In          Add 18.00 qt of water at 167.0 F        155.0 F      60 min       

Merfizle,

Thanks for the recipe.  I have a question about the second addition of Hallertaur hops at 0 minutes.  Does this mean throw them in and then immediately strain them out when I go to chill and rack?  Does this mean add them to the primary?  I have never seen a recipe call for a hop at 0 mins.

If it matters, I use a hop spider with a paint strainer bag to hold my hops during boil. 

Sure, no problem.

Just throw them in after your boil is up, stir and turn off your burner.  I leave them in there while I whirlpool and chill the wort.  By the time the chilling is done they should settle to bottom and stay in the kettle when transferring wort to your fermenter.

Hop spider should work fine.

Cheers. 

Mark

Should I consider adding them perhaps at 5 mins from flame out?  I use a counterflow wort chiller and on the downhill end as its heading into the carboy I pass it through a final fine filter to catch any trub going through.  I can typically drop temperature on the full wort in about 3 minutes or so.  The last hop wouldn't get much time on target if I added it at flame out.

Again, thanks for the recipe.  It is going down this weekend and I will post back as I go along.

Sure, it'll be just fine.  The only reason I had that addition is because I didn't want to save the rest of the hops pack.  :)

I'm brewing 10 gallons of this recipe next week.....it's popular so need more!

It took me a bit to get around too but I threw this one down last night.  I will keep you posted when I crack one open.  Thanks for the recipe.

Back