• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Saving Batches done

madcowbrewing

New Forum Member
Reaction score
How do you save batches done? Like as I brew through out the year and want to refer back to a batch I made 6 months ago.

I too would like to know how to do this.  I see that there is a "version" field, but am not sure how it is supposed to be used.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to keep a master version of a receipt, and then also have a log of each batch I make, with actual batch information such as date, volumes, changes if any, etc.  The batch entries are what should show up on the calendar, and at the same time, if the I make some changes from batch to batch, I'd still like to have the "master" version of the recipe to refer to.

Can this be done?

What I did was simply created a new folder and named it "Brewed", and I store all of my past brews there. After taking some tasting notes, I can then grab it from that folder, make a copy, make adjustments and save it off as another version (possibly also with a "2" in the file name to track progress if desired) in another folder until I brew it again.

I had same question. Is that what the Brew Log is there for also? I have looked in the help section and cannot find anything explaining the Brew log.

I do basically the same as philm63.  I have my numerous template recipes in the [My Recipes] root.  I created a series of subdirectories to track flow.  On brew day I’ll copy/paste the proper template and drag the copy into my [1-Provisionl] subdirectory and go into the file and change a few values like Brew Date and Yeast Date, but otherwise I’ll obviously rely on the template data.  These are the subdirectories I created, including the default BeerSmith samples subdirectory:

1-Provisional
2-On Tap
3-Done
BeerSmith 2 Samples
zOld recipes or Orig Clone

(The 1/2/3 and “Z” are just there to facilitate sort order.)

All the [Copy to Brew Log] function does is automate the copy/paste/move functions – into a “Brew Log” subdirectory.

Back