• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2-Liter Volcano!

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new to yeast starters, but is it supposed to blow out of the flask like Mt. Vesuvius?!

I guess the real question here is does an eruption mean a significant reduction of anticipated cell count? How can I prevent this? I'd say I observed somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 Tablespoons of crud on the outside of my 2L flask and I have to assume this is a significant chunk of my yeast now sitting in a plate around the bottom of my flask instead of inside where it was safe.

It was my second step with a single WLP001 started in 1.5L, then decanted and placed in 1L - always using a 2L flask. Very active, but how can I prevent losses due to blowouts? Bigger flask? Smaller starters?

I've done that too.  Are you using a stir plate?  If not, then I'd recommend smaller starters or a much bigger flask, b/c you're making a tiny beer in a confined space. 

One other advantage of a stir plate is the constant release of the CO2, preventing (usually) this over-blown problem. 

Thanks ML.

My stir plate should be here any day now.

I'll assume it's safe to say what little is lost to foaming out of the flask is likely not enough to worry about - just messy!

Should be around 100 grams dme per 1000ml water. Will yield around a 1.030 specific gravity starter.

I use the standard 100g to 1L ratio for my starters, and I use a 2L flask. Still waiting for my stir plate... where's that darn UPS tracking number?!

Oddly enough; when I look back at my original post in this thread, I see that I stepped from a 1.5L to a 1L (oops...) Still, what a mess!

Two words: Foam Control.

A drop or two while the starter is above 180F.

Works every time.

maddspoiler said:
Should be around 100 grams dme per 1000ml water. Will yield around a 1.030 specific gravity starter.

I've been doing this with every batch of liquid yeast so far.  I've been using a stir plate since batch 1 of liquid yeast though.  I have a two liter flask and have never even come close to a blowout.  I loosely cover with tinfoil that I've dipped into starsan.  All my yeast has been very active upon pitching, btw.

Caveat, sample size less than ten.  IANAE.

Back