• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Extract

M

maddspoiler

Anyone use Hop Extract before? I was thinking of brewing the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Clone they did on "Can You Brew It" but it calls for 10 ml bittering extract (from Northern Brewer) with the bittering addition. Anybody have an idea how I could add this into a recipe on BeerSmith and have it calc the IBUs right. I added it as a misc item but it doesnt add IBUs. And for obvious reasons adding it as a hop doesnt work out correctly either. I could always just put it into the notes but would like it if I could just add it as a misc item or as hops, enter the amount used (in ml) and have the calculations run automatically.

If nothing else this is something Brad should put into a later update or an add on pack.

I added it under Hops.

The trick is to look at a whole container as an ounce (or gram) of hops. The IBUs available in a container become the AA% of the "hop." The net result is that the use is interchangable. Any percentile under a whole ounce is simply the equivellent weight percentile of the container.

They actually include an IBU calculation sheet with the extract hop shots

***BUMP***

I'm bumping this thread as its been read 2019 times and contains few answers and is the top returning search result on this topic. Its frustrating searching for answers that are spread all over the place that turn out to be non-answers to a question that is now, 3 years old. Come On BeerSmith! This should no longer be even a question in (v2.2.xx) 2015.

---End of Rant ---

I'm using Brewferm Isomerised Hop Extract 6% I am also using their, "Hoppy" Aroma Hop Oil. There are now, available to the Home Brewer, many such products which really ought to be part of the BeerSmith Recipe Calculator OR at least addable as an Extract Hop Ingredient.

In the meantime, here's some clarification on what Brewfun posted in response to the OP's question.

What I did was:
1. Add a new Hop Ingredient called Liquid Hop Extract - Isomerised 6%
2. Using https://www.hopunion.com/brewing-calculators/ and some back-of-a-napkin math, I calculated the dosage (ml/L per IBU) to be 0.0124ml/L per IBU
3. My container has 30ml of Extract (1 oz) which I calculated to be the equivalent of around 2419.35 doses or potential IBU's if you prefer
4. I calculated that for a 6L batch I would need approx. 1.64ml to achieve about 22 IBU's
5. Putting 2419.35 in as the Alpha Acid Percentage, for a 90 min boil, and using 0.02g of Extract, Beersmith calculated that I would get about 14.7 IBU's or around that.
6. Changing the alpha acid percentage to 3000% produced an estimate of 21.5 IBU's - Great Wall, great fence? Near enough for me.

As for the Aroma Hop Extract, I added this as an Aroma Hop with 0% Alpha Acid as, apparently, it adds no additional bitterness to the Beer.

Hop this helps some others out there, but it'd be nice is the next update at least included labels for these products such as Hop Extract, and volumes rather than weights. Cheers.

HeraldOfChange said:
Its frustrating searching for answers that are spread all over the place that turn out to be non-answers to a question that is now, 3 years old.

The level of knowledge available to homebrewers continues to advance. If you, or anyone else learns something about using new products, then by all means, share it. I'll be the first to applaud your effort. If you're not finding a succinct answer, then it's reasonable to think that there might not be one, yet. What you've learned would be a welcome addition to the knowledge pool.

I'm using Brewferm Isomerised Hop Extract 6%
*emphasis added*

The OP and my answer were dealing with CO2 hop extract, which is not isomerized and contains hop oils, too. With those products, the creation of isomers (therefore IBUs) follows the normal bittering calculations.

With isomerized extract, all bets are off. The second you add them, is the second you have all those IBUs and the only thing you can do is lose them in the process. It's a straight ml/l ratio of bitterness added. It's as simple a volume ratio as possible. No amount of boiling fully isomerized products will add a single IBU. So, the best time to add isomerized extract is just before bottling, so that none are lost in the process.

It's fascinating to me how much homebrewers rail against big beer, but are quick to adopt their advanced "brewing" techniques. Isomerized extract is used in Miller beer, after filtration. It's been their method since the '60's. ...Just my opinion, but when a brewer looks for that level of precision, it's not brewing. It's engineering a barley beverage.

I am also using their, "Hoppy" Aroma Hop Oil. There are now, available to the Home Brewer, many such products which really ought to be part of the BeerSmith Recipe Calculator OR at least addable as an Extract Hop Ingredient.

Oil extracts are in the realm of brewer preference. There isn't a calculation associated with their use.

Again, this is part of the learning curve in homebrewing. I don't have a complete list of these products, do you? Please post it, if you do. It's the BeerSmith community that creates the lists that end up in the add-ons. Hops, yeasts and grains have all been updated over the last few years, from the efforts of individuals, like yourself.

****edit****

This website:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/hop-extract-isomerised-6-100-ml-1568-p.asp

This seems to be the product HeraldOfChange is discussing. It has a few dosing ratios that can be used as a guideline.

I found if I set the alpha percentage to 80 percent then BS correctly calculated the IBUs for a 60 minute boil at 10 for each ml of hop extract. 

I've been working this hard for the next version.

The post above is correct - if you add a "hop shot" or "hop jizz" you are adding CO2 extract that has an alpha content of between 61-69% alpha.  For practical purposes 1 gram is equal to 1 ml, so if you create a new hop entry such as "Hop Shot" and set the alpha acid percentage to 65% you will get a very good estimate of the boil utilization (IBUs) of the CO2 extract if boiling or whirlpooling.  Just add the same number of ml of extract as you would grams of hops.

CO2 extract is really intended to be boiled, as it's not typically an aroma hop and is not great at capturing aroma compounds.

The Isomerized hop extracts are a different beast as these have the alpha acid extracted in an isomerized (i.e. already boiled) form, so these typically add a fixed IBU per unit used.  This lets you add them post-boil and also at bottling time to flavor as desired.  In this case you need to estimate the IBUs from the manufacturer's guidelines (Dosage rate) and add that number of IBUs in.  As mentioned above I'm working to add those to BeerSmith now for release 2.3.

Brad

Back