• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Transporting sacks of grain

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm going back to Wisconsin in a few weeks and I would like to purchase somewhere around 300-400 pounds of sacked grains for brewing. My question is can I safely transport that much grain in the back of my pickup under a tonteau cover for a couple of days? I live in Wyoming and I will be coming through South Dakota and the temps. can get pretty warm. I'm sure it gets pretty warm in the trucks that deliver the grain from the manufacturer to the distribution centers and then onto the brew shops. I'm not sure if the higher temp would have a negative effect on the qualitry of the grain. Thanks for any info. Cowboy Up. :-\

I use to live in South Dakota and once you cross the river (East to West) the humidity drops to near zero %. You should be fine and if your traveling at night you won't have the sun beating down on the tarps. 

Unmilled malt is bone dry. English malts a bit moreso than US. The dryness preserves the enzymes. They can survive a trip by ship across the ocean. They'll be fine across a few states. just keep them dry.

The question is why would you do this when Wisconsin has great malts to begin with...

Back