• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water to Grain Ratio for Partial Mash

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Looking to do a partial mash for my next brew and it seems that as PM is so close to AG, I feel as though I should be following the same basic conventions as if it were an AG recipe. I see the usual suspects citing volumes of around 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain to ensure good enzymatic conversion for the mash.

Typically I will steep my specialty grains in a 32 L boil pot with 4 gallons of water at 155 F for 30 minutes when I do an extract recipe, lift and let drain completely (no squeezing!), discard the grains and top-up to 6.5 gallons, add my DME and start the boil.

For my next brew (Belgian Blond), following a few leads on this forum, I am doing a PM and using 2.25 Lbs of grain consisting of biscuit, aroma, honey and 2-row pale so the temperature will be held tightly at 158 F for 45 minutes with the grains in one large sock, then placed in a strainer suspended above the pot and sparged with 168 F water.

Questions are;
1) Should I follow the conventional 1.25 to 1.5 qts per pound to steep/mash, or can I stick to my usual 4 gallons, or somewhere in between;
2) How much 168 F water should I sparge with (don’t want to extract tannins…); and
3) Can I just dump the sparge water by the pitcher-load onto the grain sock or do I trickle it slowly and evenly?

You have lots of options, all of which will work.  Honestly, id keep it simple and take a check from the biab folks. Mash your grains in your sock or paint strainer in you full batch of water... 4 gallons of whatever.  Then just pull the sock out and squeeze it dry.  Then proceed as usual for an extract batch.

My response is similar to Tom above.  When I do partial I always keep the grains in a brewer sock.  I never use less than 1.5q per pound of water, but I typically go with the minimum I need to keep the bag fully immersed yet off the bottom of the pot.  I then use however much water I need to get to boil volume as my rinse water.  As long as you have enough water to allow the enzymatic process to work you should be good.

Back