• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding flavoring? yeah? or nah?

S

Slatherd

I'm gonna be brewing a premium bitter by Munton's and using Alaxanders Pale Malt extract. I plan on it being a little more hoppy than the american light I did before.

I'd like to add some Raspberry, or cherry or something to it. Whats the best time and amount to add for 5 gal? Or, should I even bother and let the hopps do the talking?

How hoppy are we talking here?

If it is going to be a big hoppy beer leave the fruit out.

I do a raspberry wheat that is only 20ibu.  that way the fruit comes through.  I add 4lbs of frozen in the primary and it is the neighberhood favorite.

Don

the sales guy said it should come out between an American Light, and a Indian Pale Ale.

If that helps.

If it is more tword the light it will fine.  IPA's are too hoppy and will compete with fruit.

What are you going to use?

Don

I say leave the fruit out. Except for wheat beers, I have yet to add fruit to a recipe and like the results enough to do it again.

Back