• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting Efficiency@ 70% for Brewing Classic Styles by JZ

steve allan

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I notice that I have to set my Brewhouse Efficiency at approx 65% to get an estimated efficiency number 0f 70%. Is this how it's done to match the brewing effiency quoted in Jamil's book. Previously I had my Brewhouse efficiency set at 70% and that then makes estimated efficiency approx 74%. Is it also best to have the box's ticked to automatically calculate the boil.
If I am off track what is the dumb way of working out your efficiency as I am not a real smart when it comes to maths. I batch sparge and am making 42ltrs(into fermenter) each brew. I have just double the numbers quoted in the book for everything and the grain bill numbers seem closest if do the above.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

In general, here is what I have done.  This is a general procedure and not specific to a BCS recipe.

1. Establish my own efficiency.  It is easy.  Simple measure your gravities at pre and post boil.  go to BS and adjust the efficiency until the estimated gravity matches what you get.  After three or four brews where you carefully control variables like mash water and sparge water as well as grain weights, you should be pretty consistent with your efficiency. 

2. enter the recipe using my efficiency

3. scale the recipe to achieve the target gravity

Back