• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging recommendations

Rau71

New Forum Member
Reaction score
The software says I should set my psi to 7.75.  How long is that for, if I put it higher will it carbonate faster?

I recommend doing a web search for "force carbonation chart" and "force carbonation" in general. 

Assuming the 7,75 PSI is at 32F and you want around 2.5 volumes of CO2, it takes 5-7 days carbonate.

As side note, I have been working on a formula to help folks calculate the time factor based on PSI and temperature.  This seems to be lacking in brewing tools.  Folks like me usually suggest a"about a week" because that is what is usually is.  As with many brewing calculations, mine looks to be kind of close but can't be precise due to many external variable conditions.

Cheers!

Cold crash beer for a day in keg before you carbonate.  Then, turn to 30 PSI and rock the keg for a minute.  Beer's carbonated now.  If you want it more carbonated, turn to 25-30 psi for 12-24 hours and re-test.  If over-carbed then de-gas and try again.

Mark

Remember if you have more than 1 keg connected to shut the others down until the current one is back down to serving pressure or you could get back pressure from the 30PSI guy...

Back