• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pitch the Whole Starter or Decant?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my Belgian Blond this coming weekend and will be making a starter using my new stir plate for the first time. The calculators are telling me I'll need around 1.6L to get the desired cell count when using a stir plate.

Question is; do I pitch the whole starter at high krausen, or let it finish, settle, decant and pitch only the slurry?

I'm not looking for the shortest possible lag time - I'll take healthy yeast growth over short lag times every day - so getting the yeast to start doing its thing quickly is not my concern.

My concern is it's a 5.25 gallon batch, and 1.6L of some "other" liquid may have some effect on the flavor of the finished beer. Granted I will be using the exact same DME for the starter as in the beer (my recipe only has a few ounces of the DME...) so I'm not sure if I am really going to have a flavor issue adding a 1.6L starter.

Suggestions?

I always do starters early enough to cool and decant, but the rule of thumb is that strongly flavored beers like stouts "absorb" the spent starter better than delicate beers like a pils or kolsch. 

As everything, it's the brewer's call. 

When my starter is at high krausen and I am ready to pitch, I will pout the whole enchilada in. This usually means I fill my carboy too much and have a lot of blowoff.  If it past that, I chill it then decant off the wort.

Back