• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bad pre- and post-boil gravity estimate for partial BIAB

lazyr

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm using BeerSmith 2.1.02 on Linux (thanks for the port, by the way!)

I've posted the contents of the .bsmx file here.

So I'm mashing my grains in a bag. They should release about 42% of the fermentables in the recipe into about 50% of the water that will eventually end up in the fermentor. The estimated OG of the recipe is 1.048, so the pre-boil gravity should be lower than that, but it is estimated at a whopping 1.080, even though I've specified that the DME should be added when there's 15 minutes left of the boil (so it should not affect the *pre*-boil gravity).

At the end of the boil, all of the fermentables has been added. So now the 1.080 figure would make sense. But the post boil gravity is estimated to 1.048! The step "Add water to achieve final volume of 20,00 l" is a couple of steps below the post boil gravity estimate in the brew sheet, so it hasn't happened yet, and should not affect the post-boil gravity estimate.

The gravity estimates (pre-boil, SG, OG, etc.) are each based on all the ingredients.  That has freaked me out in the past on brew-day when I forgot that fact.

When recipe-tinkering, you can remove the late addition ingredient(s) to see what SG to expect before that ingredient is added.  For ex, a Belgian tripel with 2# of cane sugar.  Remove the sugar, find the pre-boil SG figure, record it somewhere, then add the cane sugar back to recipe. 

In this manner, any partial-masher can also zero out the DME/LME to find the calculated contribution of just the partial mash grains. 

Thanks,
  I'm looking at adding more options for more flexible use of ingredients (such as late addition grains or grains that are steeped only for all grain brewing).  It is high on my list.

But as MaltLicker points out the base numbers are based on all the ingredients.

Brad

Thanks for the answers.

I feel that the text accompanying the pre-boil gravity estimate and the placement of the post-boil gravity estimate on the brew sheet is very misleading. Any person who is not skilled enough to see from the estimates themselves that they are wrong, would conclude that:

• the pre-boil gravity did not include any ingredients *below* where it was stated (because they're added later), and
  • the post-boil gravity would likewise not be affected by any instructions following the line where it's specified.

So if the calculations are not fixed in the next version, I think at least some clarifying text should be added to the brew sheet, so the users are not mislead in the middle of brewing.

Back