• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High Alcoholic smell taste in my AG oatmeal stout

qtd3612

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Sorry for writing a book.  this is my actual first post on any beer blog.

Made jump to all grain about 8 months ago. in my 4 batch of all grain did a stout and turned out good, did it again and it has a high Alcoholic smell and tast almost like rubbing alcohol.  At the time we bottled it the flavor tasted great and I was very pleased. 
I put my notes i recoreded from the beer smith.  This was the 2nd time i used a yeast starter and in which i used 1000 ml flask on a home made stir plate,  the primary was 6 gallon plastic carboy with a hose to bowl with water.  in my notes i mentioned that alot of stuff came out the tube and I ended up with a yeast cake in the botton cleaned 2 time one time it had a bit of mold growing.
My brew room is temp controlled and in the carboy i have a sensor to a control and the temp was held below 73 to the core of the carboy. 

my og was estimatd on bs as 1.066 and end up 1.065 fg was 1.013 and actual was 1.013  abv shows 6.9%

things I think went wrong and maybe could affect it but maybe some one can help
1. My water temp going into the mash wasn't hot enought started out at 148 and it dropped to 142. mashing called for 90 minutes
2. I used city water with a carbon fitler,  I tested the ph after at the end of the mash and it was 5.8 not sure I am testing at the right time.
3. did a iodine test and it seemed ok
4.  It took nearly 2 hours to sparge the gallons details below. maybe too long on the grains but it tasted so good with lostsa malt flavors at bottleing
5.  the yeast starter hit the wyeast smach pack and then added it to I think 2 cups of wort( bad note taking here)  So maybe I over yeast it , 
6.  I used a new plate wort chiller and you will see that i ran it too fast and it stat in the carboy from about 110 deg to 70 for a bout 1hour.  so maybe it hurt me here.
Everything else on the bottling and storing I did the same as I have successfully done on 25 other brews .

Here are some of the brew basics.
toasted the barley flakes and wheat flakes 10 minutes at 300 deg.
preheat 3 gallons in small pot to boil for mash tun pre heat for 21 minutes
heated 5  gallon to 165
put 1 gallon in the bottom then added the grains, 3.75 gallons of water(15 qtrs)
checked temp at 7 minuts was only 148.
water temp got 165 and shut off right away better to go hotter and cool down.
temp outside was 80 inside 80.
at 50 minutes temp was 142  stir a little left alone
Note not sure why the temp drop. Shoud have starte out a litte hotter.
preheated teh hlt take with hot tap water for about 20 minutes. est.
added water at 170
1st runnings 2 cups clear.
temp at middle 148 during sparge.
ph was 5.8 at mash?????
first 1/2 ran at 1.5 galons or about 3 gph.  sped up at this point at 1 hours we had 2 3/4 gallon
took to 3 3/4 or 6.75 gallons tool from 9:50 to 11:30 1 hour 40 minutes really moved it up the last 1/2 hour.
at the end was about 1.015 . temp in mash was 1.048 
started boil added hops
used the new wort chiller worked but only chilled t 110 deg. took about another 2 -3 hours to tool once in the carboy.  should have ran slower.  disappointed.
Gonna pitch the yeast in the am.
pitched yeast in am.  and by night nice head by day 2 was really active bubbling alot
alot of blow off with about 1/4 yeast cake on the bottom. lost a lot out the top.
empty the water again, with more yeast in bottom and a little mold growing in the water hopefully I got it  in time.
bubbling about 1 every second til day 11/12.
transferred to secondard  7-1-12  68 deg 1.012 which equals a 1.013  well within fg
bottling day 7/11/12 10 day in secondary 4 oz sugar 2 cups water

qtd,

This sounds like a fermentation issue based on what I'm reading from your OP. I don't think you over-pitched, but it may be possible that the yeasties got a little stressed somewhere in the process. I don't use a blow-off tube as you describe, so this next part is a guess - but I wonder if a good portion of the healthy yeast got blown into your water bucket stressing the remaining colony and causing them to throw some fusel alcohols into the mix?

You mention that you have temp control for your fermenter. My first thought while reading your OP was a temp issue. Is there any wiggle room in your measurement/notes of fermentation temperature? Hot fermentation can also cause some higher level alcohols to appear.

The mash temps look a bit low which would result in sugars that are more fermentable, but I agree with cousindave that this looks more like fermentation temps that were too high - even for a short period high temperatures can produce fusel alcohols and other unwanted esters, and combined with low mash temps it could've been a perfect storm. Worth taking a closer look - just my .02.

I can't really recall exactly the temps of the ferm temp and on this one was really lazy about taking measurements.  I normally use use a air lock but I was trying out a new system.  I bought a stopper with a stainless steel tube (sealed) and then ran my probe  in side which i tied into my control which can control 2 things. One is on the frig for lagers and this one I was just using it to take reading. might use it in the winter if I have a heat blank it or what not.  My room is a 12 x 12 and I installed a air conditioner unit which I keep at about 68-70.  the unit is next to the cabinet that I keep the fermenter in.  I am going to take a beer tomorrow to a home brew store tomorrow to get there take on if the off flavor I smell/taste is fusal alcohol or some other.  This was the 1st time I ever had that much yeast come out of the tube.  Even with Airlocks I find that I have to clean them several times once before the room I had one blow off in my closet and all over my ties, dress shirts and walls.  I think that might be cause I have 6 gallon plastic carboy's and not 6.5 (thoughts).

Is it possible that the temp could have gotten hot with all the yeast activity and cause the off flavor along with the other items.

also with fusel's is it normal not to taste them when you bottle?  What is puzzling me is that it tasted great at bottling.

Thanks

Dale

Back