• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low gravity competition beer. Wyeast French Saison

keithshead

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
My local brew pub is hosting its next home brew comp in a few months for low gravity beers 4% and under. Last month it was beers brewed with bottom fermenting yeast and it was the first time i wone with my Baltic Porter. Kind of got the bug now and want to win again.

So, i am thinking a low gravity, hoppy Saison. Obviously it being low gravity i have my concerns. My baltic porter was 9.3% so i could pack it with flavour and aroma. But with a low gravity beer i will have issues with body and mouth feel. But at the same time i would like this to be a dry beer. Here are my thoughts;

Vienna or munich malt as a base i am thinking
Rye malt will add a nice spiciness i think as well as improve body but unsure of %.
then some wheat malt for tartness, head retention.

For hops i am thinking an American hop. Something with european heritage. Perhaps Liberty.

But most importantly i am thinking Wyeast French Saison. I have used it before and i love the citrusy/spiciness it imparts. But it imparts body as well, a really nice silkiness but fermenting down really dry.

So can anyone suggest anything here? Percentages wise, anything i have overlooked. I think the most important thing here for me is i want a nice dry tart beer. Something down to 1.005 or 1.002 hence my choice of yeast for this fact but i want to preserve the body/mouthfeel of the beer.

Back