• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Screwed up my brew...HOPS QUESTION!!!!

markwolff

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I brewed another batch of my Bethel Blonde Ale last night but ran into a problem.  Apparently when I brewed my Valley Raspberry Wheat the other night, I accidentally threw out the rest of my Cascade Hops (I was splitting the bag between two batches).  I didn't notice this until the alarm on my BeerSmith 2 timer went off for me to add the hops and I couldn't find it.

At this point, is there anything I can do before I pitch yeast or is this batch ruined? 

Mark

You didn't state whether the hops were bittering (long boil) or flavor aroma (late addition) but I would try to boil or steep for the specified time -some of the hops (same amount) in water (sooner than later!) and cool the new hop water down and get it in there before pitching.
If they were bittering hops you must remember that you will get a higher alpha acid isomerization with water alone since it is so low gravity..... but if too much time has not elapsed you should be OK. 

That's what I was looking for.  The hops are for bittering.  Normally have 1 oz for 30 min and 1 oz for 10 minutes.  Is it going to be better to do it in a separate water boil and add to the wort or re-boil the whole thing and add them?  I don't want to screw it up any more if possible.

Mark

No... just add the 60 min hops into the water (maybe 1/2 - 1 gal).... boil for 50 .... add the 10 min hops and boil all for 10..... flame out and cool as soon as able and add to wort. Pitch you yeasties as SOON as you can after! 

The other option if you don't want the lower gravity shift that will come from extra water, is to take out a portion of your wort and boil the hops in that instead.

Make that 10minute addition a 7 minute and I bet you get a lot more aroma and flavor out of the cascades!

Thanks again!  I am boiling the hops right now and will use your shortened second half recommendation.  I look forward to seeing how it improves the end product.

Again, thank you for saving a 5 gallon batch of pure heaven!

Mark

I'm probably too late for this, since you are already boiling....but, hops need to be boiled in a low pH solution---wort, not water.  A pH above 5.8 will extract less desirable flavors.  This is according to Palmer, JZ, and Bamforth.  Shaun OSullivan of 21A, says that he panics if his preboil wort is above 5.8 because the hops will taste nasty (his words).  I've certainly never tried it. 

Boiling hops in plain water will probably result in some strange (not good) tasting stuff.  You could try acidifying your water down below 5.8, and see how that works.  No matter what you do, I'd taste it before I poured it in the beer. 

Thinking about it, a little more.....I think, if it were me, I'd pitch the yeast now.  Then I'd buy some hop extract:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7835/103693/IsoHop_Bitterness_Extract_1_oz

and dose the resulting beer with that, post fermentation. 

It is too late...

I brewed the 1 oz of hops in a 2 qt. sauce pan for 53 minutes, then added the second oz of hops for 7 minutes.  I will say that I noticed a difference in the final aroma after boiling!  A LOT more aromatic! 

I added the cooled mix to the rest of the wort and pitched the yeast early this am.  The yeast is already starting to do its thing; I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I had actually thought that a more aromatic hops profile could help my recipe, so I should find out in about 6 weeks!

Either it will be just fine and you don't have to tell anyone but us about it OR it will be funky and then you make up a great story to tell about it and say you were trying to make it that way!

Relax, have a homebrew!

(Anyone else notice that you're more verbose on this forum while you are drinking your brew?, Kricky this 9.9%er is gettin to me!)

Boiling hops in plain water will probably result in some strange (not good) tasting stuff.  You could try acidifying your water down below 5.8, and see how that works.  No matter what you do, I'd taste it before I poured it in the beer. 

Done it many times as a "hop tea" and never had the off flavours mentioned. Yeah, it may have been better to boil some of the wort instead (and maybe risk further infectious probs) but I was trying to help in a pickle ..... and speaking from personal experience. Mayhaps my water is already at 5.2 ...... dunno. But never thought twice!

my 2 cents

Back