• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Batch is Sooo Good!

E

Eric_Stephenson

Hello All,

First I just wanted to take a second and say Thank You. I have been lurking here for a month or two and even though I haven't participated all that much, I have learned a ton from you all!

Second, I brewed my first batch about a month ago and it's just about ready to drink!

I wanted something really easy for my first batch so with the help of the very knowledgeable people at Beer Crafters in Turnersville, NJ I chose a Munton's IPA.

When I got home, I dumped the bag of stuff and just looked at it all and thought "now what the heck am I supposed to do with all this?"

But then I looked at the recipe sheet that Jeff wrote up for me and it wasy easy!

I brewed it all up and ended up with an Original Gravity of 1.052

I watched it like a hawk and started getting worried after 3 or 4 days because there was no bubbling. After about 5 days I called Beer Crafters and they told me to get a gravity reading and that would tell me if it was working or what. I got a gravity of 1.009 and called them back.

It was finished!

So I moved it to the secondary (glass carboy) for another week or so. I bottled it about 12 days ago and tried a bottle about 5 days ago.

It tasted sooooo good! It was still a little flat but it took all the restraint I had to not drink a six pack of it!

I plan on transferring two six packs to the fridge on Saturday morining and probably enjoying a couple of them over the weekend.  The rest I will probably wait another week or so to give it a little time to mature some more.

I haven't been idle waiting for that to finish, I have three more batches at various stages:

Irish Red: Bottled last sunday
Goosed Amber: Racked to secondary on sunday
Honey Lager: brewed on sunday

Just in case you want to read some more of my "experiments" check out http://www.learningtobrew.com that's my blog about my successes/failures/fun with homebrewing.

Don,

Your right! I can't wait to get my next batch going!

Back